Health & Physical Education
The health courses are designed to offer a variety of activities to explore and discuss current health concepts. These activities fulfill the course objective: to develop students' ability to make healthy life choices utilizing a variety of decision-making techniques and a broad knowledge of personal and general health. An emphasis will be placed on avoiding the formation of addictive and harmful habits while promoting positive and healthy behaviors.
The objective of the course is to empower the students with information, choice skills and self-confidence in the mode of the Roman Catholic Church, experience, reflection, and action. Students will apply the course objective to a wide range of social, physical and emotional health challenges. The student will develop a deeper, personal understanding of health choices and the ramifications those choices have on wellness. Upon completion of these courses students will:
- Make informed addictive behavior choices
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of body systems, anatomy, physiology and kinesiology
- Comprehend the adverse affects of drugs, alcohol and tobacco on society and self
- Understand the adverse life effects of poor choices
- Discover practical stress management techniques
These courses offer a variety of physical activities to develop the students' psychological, sociological, and physiological growth. Both individual and team concepts are incorporated, with an emphasis being placed on cooperation and sportsmanship. Students will be encouraged to discover and expand levels of physical development, ability, and growth.
The objective of physical education course is to proved basic skills, knowledge and activities through a variety of sports. An emphasis is placed on the development and maintenance of physical fitness. Opportunities exist to meet and participate with classmates in a relaxed, structure and social atmosphere. Upon completion of these courses the student will be able to:
- Perform correct technique through a variety of athletic activities with an emphasis on safety.
- Accept personal physical and athletic strengths and limitations in a positive manner as well as those of his classmates.
- Demonstrate self confidence while performing different physical activities.
- Students will grow through exposure to a variety of different athletic activities and events including: volleyball, basketball, Olympic team handball, flag football, soccer, ultimate frisbee, weight training, and cardiovascular endurance training.